Re: german F sound concept

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph on July 26, 2001 at 18:55:36:

In Reply to: german F sound concept posted by eric on July 25, 2001 at 19:41:05:

I'm surprised no one has provided a serious answer to your question.

The answer to your question is a resounding yes. Most folks in Germany get by just fine playing everything on their Fs and there is no reason you can't either. The only real trick is becoming familiar with whichever horn you choose. Not much of a secret. I own a PT-15 and a PT-6. Both are wonderful horns but if push came to shove and I could only keep one I would most likely keep the PT-15. This is a horn that is very capable of creating any sound I like with just a gentle twist of the 'tone knob' in my head. Also, most non-tubists are much more impressed by the clarity which comes so naturaly from a german F than they are with a big sound. I know I'm in the minority on this topic but I find it much easier to play with clarity and facility in the low register on an F than I do on my CC. The Ride on my PT-15 may not sound like a Yorkbrunner but I wouldn't be bothered to hear it played on one in an orchestra.

Also, contrary to popular opinion smaller horns are not quieter, they just have a different character to the sound. If smaller were quieter then trumpets wouldn't be as obnoxious as they are. ;b If you like the character of a smaller horn(german F for example) you can make it work in any setting you like.

August 3rd,4th,and 5th I'll be using the PT-15 and the bog-standard PT-65 in an outdoor production of Brigadoon playing the string bass part. We'll see how many complaints I get. Anyone interested in forming their own opinion feel free to show up at 8:30pm at Oak Grove Park in Gladstone, MO. If you introduce yourself after the show we can talk about it over beer(s).

good luck!

Follow Ups: