Re: Play-testing at Shows & Conferences

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on July 26, 2001 at 13:42:46:

In Reply to: Play-testing at Shows & Conferences posted by dp on July 26, 2001 at 13:10:50:

Your point is well taken. I however do not think that the best horns make it to these conferences. I think that the best "top-o-the-line" horns may get there, but the more mainstream stuff is mediocre at best. Reason I say this: I have played a Yamaha YCB-822S that I bought that was a very good instrument, but this line was new at the time. I also played a YFB-621 that was horrible (I even owned a YFB-621s at the time), and made me think twice about the consistency of the line. I have played a sparkling PT-6P and a TERRIBLE Hirsbrunner F. I think these vendors reserve a few good horns for the conference but the bulk of what they take is a middle of the line example. Most would keep the best horns at the shop where they are safe and would sell quickly anyway. At a conference I think that the "impulse buy" mentality is in effect. This leads vendors to take a lot of shiny new horns that are OK to try to get a quick sell. But at a big, big conference you would get better quality horns. Then the second part of your idea comes into effect. How does one compare the best example of a Yorkbrunner to a 2165 to a PT-7P to a Floyd-o-phone to even a Cerveny ACB-601 whe they all play excellent. If you don't have the cash on you at the time you might have liked the Cerveny the best, to never find the same Cerveny again, yet the 2165 was in the middle of the pack, but every 2165 you pick up is almost as good as the conference representative, much better than any Cerveny except the one you find, but you can't bring yourself to buy a 2165 because your waiting for the magic Cerveny! I think a conference is a good place to get some exposure to a variety of horns, but a lousy place to buy. The shop is a much better environment than a conference with low note and excerpt "competitions" being sounded off between booths. at the shop you can take your time and a saleman who is interested in your business can give you the individualized attention you need to get the best horn for you.
Maybe, if the guys at the conferences would approach their show like a car show, with no pressure to buy/sell, then we would get better service and feel for the tuba distributors as people not salesmen!
I still think the best examples are at the shop protected from the perils of handling that Joe S. refers to.
Matt G

Follow Ups: