Re: Re: Re: Wurlitzer E-flat tuba -- comments?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave Siegfried on July 26, 2001 at 09:04:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Wurlitzer E-flat tuba -- comments? posted by Urbie Watrous on July 26, 2001 at 01:16:09:

Hi Urbie. The replating job isn't too bad, cost wise. I don't have the final costs yet, but my repairman said it would be $50-$75 per valve. One had been redone already, so I just had the other two redone. The toughest part has been the waiting. It's been in the shop for 2 months, waiting for the valves to come back. That's just the nature of the business. The serial # was on the valve casing, but I don't remember if it was front or back. What does your horn look like? We figured that mine is a Martin from the shape of the bows and the valve tubing. It is a three top valve, 4/4 size horn, with a 19" bell, silver plated. I've been told that the bell of this tuba is worth at least 3x the $600 I paid for it. This was told to me by several local pros and repairmen. I would suggest taking it to some local people who would know, and let them have a look. And get it chemically cleaned and checked for leaks. For that cost, you'll have a better idea of how the horn really sounds. When I got mine, it was black with years of non-use. You may have quite a good tuba under "the sands and dirt of time". Best of luck, and please keep the board posted on what you find. And congratulations on your neww old tuba. Dave Siegfried

Follow Ups: