Re: selection

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andy Smith on July 26, 2001 at 08:10:03:

In Reply to: selection posted by eric o on July 25, 2001 at 23:36:02:

Eric,

I don't know much about the Miraphone F that you're talking about or the Hilgers Model. I can tell you about the 182 and the Cerveny. Keep in mind that both of these tubas are more German in style, meaning to play the low range in tune, you will have to relax just a bit and not try to force the air.

The 182 is a good sounding tuba for its size. It seems so small and you'd expect a euphonium like sound to come out of the bell, but it really isn't. The 182 would work as a solo horn, but not as an ensemble/orchestral F tuba, just because it's too small.

The Cerveny is an amazing tuba for the price. It really plays well in the high and middle register. I have a real problem with the whole trying to relax in the low register thing, so I wasn't able to get the low range to work for me, but that's probably just because I'm lazy and stubborn. My girlfriend, however, who is a euphonium player is actually considering buying one of these Cerveny F's because she liked it that much.

Another suggestion if you're looking for something a little bit more American in style is the Yamaha 621 F tuba. I have played a couple of these other than the one that I own and they really work well as an all-around F tuba. You can really go after the low range on it and it will come out very clearly. You probably will be able to find one of these used someplace that will fit your budget.

Just some suggestions, I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Andy Smith
Bassdi(AT)aol.com
Tubist at Ithaca College

Follow Ups: