Re: Re: What's the best way to ship a tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 25, 2001 at 11:03:46:

In Reply to: Re: What's the best way to ship a tuba? posted by glen on July 25, 2001 at 10:51:38:

This is not fair. Brook Mays is not a delivery company, they are a music store. If the horn was damaged in transit, it is the shipping company's fault.

Generally, UPS has an evil reputation, even if the package is insured. I have had two tubas shipped to me by UPS without problems, but the number of stories of disaster I have heard would steer me away from them.

Both Amtrak and Greyhound freight are most highly regarded, being relatively inexpensive and taking reasonable care with the instruments. But you must go to the nearest depot to take delivery.

The packing that YOU do is the most important element. A hard case is not enough, because the horn can crush itself inside the case if it is dropped, and if there is no external damage to the case, you will not get reimbursed easily. You must place the horn in the case such that it is supported from its strong points rather than from its weak points. The bell rim is the weakest part of the instrument, and the best trick I've heard for supporting the bell end of the tuba without touching the rim is by putting an appropriate ball (soccer, perhaps, or volleyball) inside the bell and inflating it so that the protruding ball pushes the horn's bell away from where it touches the case. The ball will support the tuba uniformly inside the bell, where it is strong, instead of at the rim.

Some go an extra step and put the cased horn inside a large cardboard box with peanuts surrounding it. This also reduces those horn-crushing G forces, in addition to protecting the appearance of the case.

Rick "who prefers the back of his car, but who has used Amtrak with no problems" Denney

Follow Ups: