Re: Eb recommendations

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Eb Inman on July 24, 2001 at 20:13:36:

In Reply to: Eb recommendations posted by Seeker on July 24, 2001 at 08:42:14:

Having played Eb tuba exclusively for 5-6 years now, here are my opinions, FWTW, and not in rank order:

1) Willson 5V non-comp horn. Perfect choice for your stated objectives. Sounds as big as a modest CC, with an easy high register. Expensive.

2) Yamaha YEB-381. This horn is rare, but it does exist. I just sold one last week. You can see photos and a description at: http://members.iquest.net/~sjcdk/instruments.html
This is the 5V version of the YEB-321. It might be possible to buy a 321, and order replacement parts from Yamaha to have the 321 converted to a 381. But be sure to get the parts that let the extra 5th valve "clamp" onto the instrument, to facilitate its removal for string linkage replacement. A fellow list member who had the 321-381 conversion done (I forget who this was) had the 5th soldered in and it was difficult for him to change the string. The 321/381 has a very strong core to the sound, and plays/sounds much bigger/fuller than its 15.25" bell would suggest. It's a very competent Eb, although the individual notes have a little wider "slot" or "center" than, say, the Besson 983.

3) Pick a compensating Eb tuba: Besson 981/982/983, Yamaha YEB-632, Miraphone xxxx, etc.

4) Contact Tony Clements (Low Brass Werks) about a Gronitz. Never played one, but it looks impressive from their web site, and their prices seem reasonable.

5) MW 2141. Nice sound, watch/check intonation when trying out this horn. I've asked on this and/or the TubaEuph forum for 2141 players willing to publically claim that they own a 2141 with good intonation. The most enthusiastic reply was a pro player from the east coast who said he had a great 2141, and only had to have two of the tuning slides trimmed, and now only needs to use a few alternate fingerings! Not my definition of good, sorry.

6) Tuba Exchange has a St. Pete Eb. 5V non-comp. I don't know much about it.

7) With patience, you may be able to find an older, 5V Miraphone (all rotary) Eb that's only slightly smaller than their 186CC. I tooted one of these years ago and it didn't sound too bad. YMMV.

Good luck. However, please note: after 5-6 years of Eb playing only, I've decided to abandon Eb altogether, in favor of a modest F and a 4/4 BBb. If I already had experience with CC fingerings, that combo would be F/CC. The Eb is a great compromise horn, and IMO it's ideal for quintet sized groups and slightly larger. (With the Willson, maybe great for all you've listed.) But if you need to play extended low register passages (pit orchestra) it's more difficult on the right hand fingers than with a contrabass horn. And if you need to pretend to be a 2nd 'bone, the Eb "voice" is typically too big/broad. So, the Eb tuba *is* a compromise, and perhaps for your needs, maybe a good one.

Good luck,

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: