Re: TUBA Journal

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lisa on July 21, 2001 at 00:37:03:

In Reply to: TUBA Journal posted by Interesting on July 19, 2001 at 16:15:16:

After reading the review in question, I was quite surprised as well. I understand reviews are for the purpose of the expression of said "reviewer's" opinion, but I never have seen such a harsh criticism present in this forum before. I am sure the reviewer can justify what he claims in his own mind, but what really shocked me was the nature of the language and writing style he used. If I were a young (by comparison) player reading that review, I think it would be seriously detrimental to my state as a performer, or at least very discouraging. (I do understand we will all face critics in our time however.)
I have yet to hear the CD, but it seems logical that Brian's teacher(s) wouldn't have been supportive of a CD making endeavor had they not thought Brian was capable of doing his chosen repertoire justice. This review, incidentally, will not turn me away from discovering another talented member of the tuba-euph world.
There are many professionals who have not yet released CDs, but each person will do so in his or her time, if he or she feels that time will arrive. In my opinion, Brian's decision to create a CD, regardless of what might be deemed as "musical maturity" or lack thereof, was beneficial to all of us. It will hopefully encourage other young players to work toward this goal, and it provides exposure to another "up and coming" player in our community. Although many of us are in the midst of it, the next generation of tuba and euphonium players is important. It is hard to say who the next Mead or Pokorny will be, so I think it is important to offer everyone that chance. We all have something to contribute as individuals.
I agree with one of the previous posters, that music is indeed for everyone, both in the realm of a performer and as a listener. I hope others with aspirations are not discouraged by this review. It is good for all of us in our community to be exposed to as many players, younger and older, as possible.
In closing, I think it is also important to note that this negative review should not be used to decry the Journal or the society as a whole. As many a legal disclaimer will note, I would think that opinions of the reviewer do not necessarily reflect those of the Journal staff.
In summary, to agree with another previous poster, tuba and euphonium players should be supportive of one another to gain the respect of all musicians... Just an opinion, thanks.

Follow Ups: