Re: Perantucci 1 mouthpiece substitute?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Randy Mac Iver on July 20, 2001 at 14:03:38:

In Reply to: Perantucci 1 mouthpiece substitute? posted by Tom McComb on July 20, 2001 at 11:46:04:

Tom,
I checked my Perantucci low brass sheet from 1981 and it states

Model 1: Helleberg type
cup characteristics: 33mm dia. Deep funnel shaped.
rim characteristics: Width 7.5mm. Rounded inner edge well rounded outer edge
throat bore: 8.3mm
Model 1 produces great depth and volume of sound while retaining a clear symphonic quality. The relatively narrow rim provides remarkable flexibility for a mouthpiece of this size, while its rounded contours guarantee endurace. Recommended for strong players, players with large lips, or for use with a small instrument where greater volume is desired.

My sheet from 1999 states

Modle 36: American style
cup characteristics: 33mm dia. deep and funnel shaped
rim characteristics: width 7.5mm Medium sharp inner edge, well rounded outer edge.
throat bore: 8.3mm

Model 36 produces the depth and volume of sound required by today's symphony orchestras. The relatively narrow rim provides remarkable flexibility for a mouthpiece of this size. This is a very popular mouthpiece.

I copied the above descriptions direcly from the two sheets. Looking at the two mouthpieces, a perantucci 1 (1981) and a model 36(1999) the only real difference between the two is the feel of the rim. The 36 seems to bite a bit and the 1 is very cushion like in feel to me. The 1 is almost a true funnel from rim to throat bore and the 36 has slight taper after the rim to the funnel and from the funnel to the throat bore. My observations are my own and may differ from someone elses. I would say that the old model 1 resemble a french horn mouthpiece more than the 36.

I switched from the perantucci 1, 10 and 12 to the Doug Elliot line of mouthpieces with much succes. I use a G130-P-P5M on my 1918 Conn 4v Eb and I use a G130-T-T6M on my 1962 Mirafone 186 4U BBb. I suggest you contact him and at least get his suggestion. Hope this helps.
Randy Mac Iver

Follow Ups: