Re: Picking a tuba w/out a visit (LONG )

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on July 16, 2001 at 16:57:57:

In Reply to: Picking a tuba w/out a visit (LONG ) posted by Karl on July 16, 2001 at 12:02:04:

I am an amateur player and a collector of antique brass isntruments. I was in the same position as you about 9 years ago. I wanted to buy a tuba to get back into playing, but didn't know of any stores in the area that carried any. I called every music store that I could find in the yellow pages (pre internet) and none had more than one or two tubas for sale. You are already far ahead just because of the information available here and on many other web sites. If you must buy based on reputation, then the best bet is to buy a horn from a manufacturer who has a reputation for quality and consistency.

I bought a King 2341 because I wanted 4 front action piston valves and because of their reputation for consistent quality that I remembered from years earlier. After 7 years I decided to move to something else, but that King served me very well. I think that the new Kings are even better horns than the 2341 that I had. If I were doing it over again I would probably buy the new King. Miraphone, Cerveny, and VMI all have horns in your price range too. I don't think that you would go wrong buying any of them.

Follow Ups: