Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Does anyone know what this horn is?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on July 16, 2001 at 10:39:23:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Does anyone know what this horn is? posted by Klaus on July 16, 2001 at 08:16:37:

Klaus, I don't do major brass repair myself, but have worked with a number of professionals who have advised me in the past that such a change would be feasible. My understanding was that although the receiver is small on these, the leadpipe bore isn't that much smaller than on other tubas and therefore it wouldn't be that hard to change the receiver. I may have misunderstood, but that was my understanding.

On the other hand, the Besson that I played in High School had a large shank receiver. I know this because I still have the mouthpiece that I used on it, a Bach 18, that has a large shank. If this has the smaller receiver, I would just go with a Dennis Wick #2 (not 2L) mouthpiece rather than changeing the receiver anyway. The Wick 2 seems similar in size and response to my Conn Helleberg and for around $65 is probably a less expensive solution.

My overall point was that, in my opinion, this is a reasonable tuba for a "hobby" player looking for an inexpensive horn.

Follow Ups: