Large vs. Small (or G-50 vs. Neptune)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony on July 14, 2001 at 23:56:43:

At the end of my recent trip to the Brasswind(thread down), I was left torn between two horns: The Getzen G-50 and the Mel Culbertson "Neptune" tuba. It seemed that both horns were trying to "pick me", and a decision in this sort of situation seems a lot more difficult when involving tubas, and not women.

Basically, I'm looking for input from others about the practicality of 1) a G-50 in large ensembles, and 2) the Mel Culbertson in small ensembles/possible solo situations. My ensemble playing in the next few years will consist pretty much completely of:

-A brass quintet
-A large Wind Ensemble(semi-professional)
-A small wind ensemble(collegiate, 40 piece, or so)
-A small orchestra
-A larger Orchestra(on the small side of the "full sized" orchestras in the US)

...and whatever other playing opportunities come up(church gigs, etc)... currently, and probably for the next couple of years, the bulk of my playing (75-90%)will be with the smaller chamber groups(with the exception of the large Wind Ensemble)... however, over the next several years, and as my abilities progress, my ultimate goal is to play in a larger orchestral setting where the larger horn would probably be more useful.

So... specifically, does anyone have any comments on the G-50 and/or the Neptune as an All-around horn? Neptune in a Quintet? G-50 in an orchestra or Dallas Wind Symphony-like group? Thanks.

Anthony Labelle

Follow Ups: