Re: Lapping Slides

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Art on July 14, 2001 at 22:34:11:

In Reply to: Lapping Slides posted by Lapper on July 14, 2001 at 14:50:36:

I have done it on many instruments. If it's already somewhat worn then you can see by inspecting the wear pattern where metal needs to be removed. If it's new then you can go over it with magic marker and then pump it a few times to see where it rubs the hardest. I start with sandpaper or emory cloth, followed by steel wool. I usually try to stay away from the last couple of centimeters, to keep a good seal. Look at a trombone slide to see what I mean. Remember that the two tubes need to be parallel; be very careful not to bend the bow so that they are not. Also remember that the sleeves need to be parallel too. It's not too difficult to see if they are out of line, sometimes you can even feel it with your eyes closed. It ain't rocket science. If you are unsure of yourself then practice first on a junk horn. Obviously an experienced and skilled repair technician will be able to do a neater job, but you can easily learn to make your slides work better than before. Only you know exactly how tight you want them to be.

Follow Ups: