Re: BBb(s) with (good)/best intonation?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on July 14, 2001 at 14:37:15:

In Reply to: BBb(s) with (good)/best intonation? posted by Steve Inman on July 14, 2001 at 08:46:24:

Primary consideration (65%) - Sound. Does it sound like you want? Will that sound work for what you're using the horn for?

Secondary consideration (20%) - Intonation/response. Are there intonation quirks? If so, can you work around them using alternate fingerings or slide pulling? If so, are such adjustments going to slow down your technique to the point of making the horn unusable? Is the response even and consistent? Is the horn efficient?

Tertiary consideration (10%) - Condition. Is the horn in good working order? If not, can it be made that way with repairs? If so, what is the availability of parts? Note that this has nothing to do with the asthetics or appearance of the horn. I place no importance on appearance at all and instead focus on how the horn sounds and plays.

Quaternary consideration (5%) - Price. Is the horn, with whatever repairs/modifications needed, worth what the seller is asking? Obviously, this is a more subjective definition than other considerations because I have to factor in what the horn is worth to me. I don't use this consideration in terms of investment strategy, but to determine if the same quality horn can be had elsewhere for less money. Obviously, how an individual horn plays means more to me in determining its value than retail prices.

Using this scale, any horn I purchase has to score at least 90%. I buy my horns as tools to do a job, not as status symbols or love affairs. Folks who aren't professionals may view things differently than I.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: