Re: Mouthpiece for Sousaphon

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on July 12, 2001 at 16:19:10:

In Reply to: Mouthpiece for Sousaphon posted by Ulrich Meierhofer on July 12, 2001 at 07:07:23:

Rob P-M is right about my use of the Conn 26K and 40K sousas.

The aquisition of the Eb 26K long ago was a matter of economy. Simply the cheapest way to get a foothold into the tuba world. Good horn for upper range fun playing using a Conn Helleberg. But I do not really like to play in the low range on a 3 valve instrument with a medium mpc as the CH.

Years later I could afford the Besson 981 Eb, which is a much more versatile instrument. About my choice, since 2 years, of mpc for these basses: follow the link below to a posting in a different thread.

Since then I have got a York Master BBb tuba and the 4 valve 40K, also in BBb. Using the same mouthpiece as on the Eb’s.

The purpose of listing my instruments and of linking to a posting in a thread with a very different heading might not be very obvious. But there are points.

I find that my mpc should be the best available interface between me and my instrument. My modified PT-50, at least for me displays all its qualities on all of the 4 instruments mentioned above. Because I get the sound, the control, and the feel, that I have been looking for.

Not for even a split second I have considered to go back to an earlier mouthpiece. The closest I have been to that situation, was when my playing in a smaller ensemble with light sounding players made me buy another PT-50 to get a lighter sound on the 981 by means of the unmodified backbore. But I never use that unmodified specimen.

In my eyes the point in Ulrich’s question is not at all about mouthpieces.

The Hirsbrunner HBS 192 BBb tuba is a pro level instrument. A term which the Besson International BBb sousaphone hardly qualifies for.

The Egger/HBS 192 seems to be a good set of tools for Ulrich. Replace one factor in the equation, in casu the HBS 192, with a factor of lesser qualities (the Besson International). And you have invited problems.

Of course I do care about the intonation of any instrument. But more important is, that it can accept my airstream without breaking up. Technically that means, that the instrument shall be sturdily enough built. Acoustically that means that the intonation slots should not be too narrow. Especially if they placed at out of tune spots.

In a somewhat different wording our list owner recently said just about the same, when he compared two differnt sousaphone models (quotation from my memory only, hopefully fair towards Sean!):

"The Conn 20K plays like a tuba. The Yamaha is also good, but it plays like a Sousaphone".

I could relate to that, as my 40K has the same acoustical proportions as the 20K, even if the 20K piston system is more sophisticated (but my one has an important extra valve).

Normally I will not express negative opinions on instruments already being played/owned by board posters.

But Ulrich: by playing the HBS 192 you have been "spoiled" so much by its level of quality, that you are bound to be disappointed by the Besson sousa.

Klaus

Follow Ups: