Re: Re: Re: Re: What's yours?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on July 10, 2001 at 04:24:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: What's yours? posted by callmeapple on July 10, 2001 at 03:29:45:

Music was sound before it ever was symbolized on paper! So let us not ridicule archaic musicians which keep themselves totally within the sound sphere (jazz would not have been the same without musicians of that sort).

In my country we have an artist, Sebastian, who started out as a singer-songwriter. He has developed himself into a composer of several musical shows, despite the fact that he does not read music at all.

Of course others have to do the final stages of the writing out of scores and parts. Yet modern tech has made it possible for Sebastian to retain a very high degree of control of the finer details in any aspects of notation.

Through his array of synths and through use of sequencing software he can create virtual scores of great precision, that can be transfered into an engraving application.

Despite being an autodidact, he can write in many classical forms, including counterpoint, at levels not always achieved by legit students. And he is merciless in his choices of keys. Which is the right attitude in my ears.

Back in 97-98 I was in the pit (on trombone) through a series of performances of one of Sebastians musicals. I am no real fan of his music, but I have to recognise his craftsmanship.

Despite the fact that my attitude is almost the opposite one. Through 30 years, I hardly touched the piano while doing lots of arranging and harmonising, plus in a smaller scale some composing.

I only went into computer use, when I no longer could write much more than my signature with my hand. Working with Finale on computer not only makes my writing legible. It is also great fun to hear the playback, as one is forced to write very precise articulations to avoid a soup of sound. (Still inner ear imagination comes first).

Klaus

Follow Ups: