Re: Re: Getting back into it

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on July 09, 2001 at 18:49:20:

In Reply to: Re: Getting back into it posted by Rick Denney on July 09, 2001 at 12:56:22:

Rick got the broad strokes right - but he's an amateur at teh "coming back after a layoff game. I took 25 years off (and wasn't all that good when I quit. Here's what works for me (as well as "things I should have done...but didn't".

First, method books are *great*. Don't be too proud to start at the very beginning. It will go quickly, largely because the method books contain lots of general "music" instruction that you probably have not forgotten. But, the music in these books is expressly designed to take you step-by-step from ground zero to moderate competence. I like Rubanks. But, I actually used mostly Arban. I recommend the newest "Complete" version for tuba - but just about anything will do. I started on number 1 (reality check...) and SLOWLY progressed until I was playing the first 32 numbers, with a metronome, every day - for a very long time.

Second, find an instructor. I failed to do this, because I had difficulty finding someone local who was both willing to work with an adult "beginner" AND willing to keep appointments. (note to self...try again, RealSoonNow). In 3.5 years, I've now had only one "lesson" - but it was very valuable.

Third, find an ensemble to play with. Community bands are a great place to start (don't forget to stick around). Church jobs when your technique can stand the exposure. But find other people to play with on a regular schedule. Two or three hours rehearsing with a group is worth a week of Rubanks.

Finally, structure your practice sessions. Develop (or get from an instructor) a daily routine to work on basics. Long tones, slurs, breathing, all registers - balance is the key. And then...add in music that you play just for you. Tunes that you recognize. That was the original intention of the "Melodic Material" in Arban - but many of those tunes are no longer well known. Find sources of tunes and arrange pieces that match your current level of ability. "Play along" CD's are nice. I particularly like the series published by Canadian Brass - graduated books of pieces for along with piano accompaniment, plus a CD which demonstrates what it's supposed to sound like as well as tracks with just the accompaniment so that you can play along. Much tougher than playing along with a metronome - and more fun.

And finally, DECIDE that if you are going to do this that you will have the discipline to stay with it - even when it gets difficult, or inconvenient. SCHEDULE your playing/practice time, and stick with that schedule. You can tape West Wing and watch it later - practice now! 5 hours per week is a bare minimum time commitment - 10 will get you where you want to be 5 times faster.

Your short term assignment is to find the local TubaChristmas and play in it. While you are there, ask around and find a local group that needs another tuba. And so on...

Follow Ups: