Re: Re: Bathing my SILVER horn??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Todd on July 09, 2001 at 16:53:04:

In Reply to: Re: Bathing my SILVER horn?? posted by Sean Chisham on July 09, 2001 at 14:42:54:

Sean,

Thank you so much for your response. I will have to follow the instructions you have listed. I do have another question, have you (or anyone else) used Tarnex or Tarn-x (I'm not sure how they have it labelled) on the horn to shine the silver?? The valve cluster and slides all have a purple to blackish hue from lack of polishing. I was wondering if there was an "easy" or less time consuming way, to get into all of those turns and small parts to shine. My fiancee's mom swears by Tarn-x but she has never used it on a musical instrument before. She has only used it on sterling silver, like silverware.

At the top of your reply, you mentioned that I should NOT use soap. Is the warm water enough to cut the grease and grime? I would have assumed that a mild detergent like Palmolive or Dawn (with that wonderful lemon scent) would help to cut the grease quicker and better, not to mention give the horn a good scent. I have brought my horn to the repair shop at Ithaca College and cleaned and even acid bathed my slides before. I always followed up the acid treatment with some Dawn to wash off the acid and give the slides a good smell.

Todd Morgan

Follow Ups: