Re: How many college hours??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on July 09, 2001 at 00:50:12:

In Reply to: How many college hours?? posted by Matt C. on July 07, 2001 at 15:26:06:

Read the catalog.

Pretend that everything will stay exactly the same, and make out a schedule (Classes, ensembles, etc.) for the next FOUR YEARS.

Yes, you heard me - make out a schedule as if you knew what you were going to do for the next FOUR YEARS.

Then, go back and read the catalog again, to make sure that you will have met all the requirements that are important to you (like, say, actually graduating with the degree you have in mind).

This will avoid all sorts of "gotchas". One of these is the "take all the interesting courses NOW" syndrome - which is great until you discover that you have to take five elementary courses in your senior year. If you must sit through elementary courses full of Freshmen...it's better to do it as a Freshman than as a Senior!

Then, find an advisor who knows what you want AND who knows the local college ropes. If necessary, settle for someone who knows the local system and TELL them what YOU want.

Pick your advisor well...and then LISTEN!

I do this for a living - trust me.

Follow Ups: