Re: Re: What's yours?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave R. on July 08, 2001 at 22:53:12:

In Reply to: Re: What's yours? posted by John Williams Arranger not Composer on July 08, 2001 at 18:46:57:

This is true of many composers though, everyone at some point borrows from what they have heard in the past. Composers have been borrowing since music had a developed system of writing. Do we call them arrangers, no, they simply take what they like and elaborate in their own style. Danny Elfman's Batman score SCREAMS Wagner all over it, but I still hear it as Danny Elfman, sure there is the sense that I heard it before but hey I'll give elfman credit for the score and Wagner credit as maybe one of his influences. When we study music we do try to emulate the musicians we love to hear perform, does that mean we are theives for trying to play as good and as hard as they do???

What do you think of Cadilac of the Skies from the Empire of the Sun soundtrack???
And Schindler's list?

I am not saying I disagree with what you are saying I am saying they still deserve credit as composers and I'm just playing devil's Advocate.

David

Follow Ups: