Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: German? American? A rose by any other...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 06, 2001 at 13:39:18:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: German? American? A rose by any other... posted by Joe S. on July 05, 2001 at 20:12:09:

Bevan's new edition includes a picture of a Boosey "cavalry tuba" from around the turn of the century that seems to be about the size and shape of a 621-series Yamaha, with four front-action valves, one of which is intended for the left hand. I'll buy the strong British roots in the Yamaha instruments, despite the lack of compensation. Of course, what is American about any F tuba?

Their 80's promotional material has it that Daellenbach and others in the CB played Schilke-made gold-plated instruments. Yet the instrument he played looked identical to a 621 CC with gold plating. I've never gotten anybody (including Chuck) to define the depth of the connection, but there is something there, however trivial. And Jim Self and others were a driving force in the development of the 822.

As to how I can notice the similarities in the Apollo, B&S, and MW F tubas, I can only suggest that as a 621 player, those are more likely to seem similar to me than they would to you, a B&S player. What was it Tolkein said? "Sheep no doubt look different to other sheep, or to shepherds." The Meinl-Weston was on middle ground, but the Apollo and the B&S seemed quite similar. It is also true that you will notice and be distracted by differences that I'm not good enough to reveal.

But the point is important in what I'm suggesting: That the telltale characteristics of German-style F tubas has as much to do with how they play and how the player approaches them as it does to their actual sound. For example, on my 621, the low C pops right out without a care in the world, just as it would on a contrabass. On the other three, it had to be coaxed to a greater degree. It seems to me that this is the essence of the German F tuba--the low register requires a particular approach needed by those instruments and not by the Yamaha or the Willson. A master of that approach might not understand how particular it really is, but to me it glows in the dark.

Rick "as usual failing to avoid presumptuousness" Denney

Follow Ups: