Re: Re: Re: Re: pro level BBb's

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by dmmorris on July 05, 2001 at 15:18:44:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: pro level BBb's posted by Rick Denney on July 05, 2001 at 14:02:54:

A 5th and/or even a 6th valve tacked onto the lead pipe of a rotary valved instrument certainly opens up the possibilty of finding a valve-combo which will center the notes quickly and with power. My old B&S BBb will kick-out the Eb and D without blinking thanks to the extra valves. I'm not sure that I would agree that it is a distinction between rotary vs piston instruments......maybe for 4-valve versions......but then I haven't had the oportunity to play your York Master. My piston valve experience is limited to old Kings, Bessons, Conns and a single Kalison (which was extreemly underwelming for the money).....none of these seemed to slot those notes as well as my current rotary.

I've tried the Miraphone 191 (4-valve). Great horn!! It has a wonderful sound......even if it's sort-of-strangey-squatty-looking! I seem to recall that it had both a lower and upper main tuning slide...which (if my memory is right), is real handy. With the addition of a 5th valve, for those special lower-octave notes, it would be hard to beat. IMO

In real-life playing, I just don't seem to get much oportunity to play all of those low notes.

-dmm

Follow Ups: