Re: Re: Re: Need info on Buescher Helicon

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on July 04, 2001 at 12:46:19:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Need info on Buescher Helicon posted by Bryan Cass on July 04, 2001 at 11:48:19:

Please allow me to make a couple of quotes of the questions on your helicon page:

"Note that the non-original leadpipe puts the mouthpiece far from where it should be. Am I holding it correctly? It seems like it should rest on my shoulder and the mouthpiece should then be positioned at my mouth"

The neck and the bits pretty much look like standard Conn parts.

The bits should be used to adapt the mouthpiece position to the individual player. On my BBb Conn 40K the bits work best, when they form a section of a circle running parallel with the main circle. On the Eb Conn 26K this does not work. There the bits are assembled to form a dogleg that brings the mouthpiece up at the level of my mouth.

As I interprete the photos you have the bits acting as a downward dogleg. You could test different positions and maybe get one or two more bits.

"I am looking for a photo of an original horn of this vintage so that I can get the horn restored to its original configuration. I am also looking for someone who can or knows of a place that will be able to restore and replate this horn."

I think the helicon look very beautyful. Joe. S recently posted his calculations of a tuba replating job. Very expensive. In this case I would largely let the instrument stay "as is". If colour is important you might get a silverplated neck with matching bits from Conn.

Klaus

Follow Ups: