Re: Pops...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on July 01, 2001 at 09:12:11:

In Reply to: Pops... posted by Charles D. Ortega on July 01, 2001 at 02:53:18:

I agree with you. I think that the objective of music is to entertain, and there is nothing wrong with presenting a performance that does that without necessarily expanding the mind of the listener. I think that Pops style music is what helps bring the general public in to hear some of the less "commercial" music, and just maybe gets them to branch out beyond their normal listening preferences.

My Brother is a composer of "contemporary classical music" and the Chairman of the music department at a weel known mid-sized Northeastern university. We have had a number of "discussions" on this very topic. My Brother's music generally gets acclaim from those who follow this style of music, but most people, me included, find it inaccessable and therefore won't take the time to listen to it. I think that there is room for all forms and styles of creativity, and that we should encourage experimentation in all arts. That is the only way we grow. But, I think that there is something wrong with the perspective that music that is popular with the general public is somehow less valid.

Follow Ups: