Re: Re: Re: buying a tuba...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott on August 01, 2000 at 20:06:01:

In Reply to: Re: Re: buying a tuba... posted by Tim Murphy on July 31, 2000 at 22:21:46:

Btw, I understood that you're going to be a senior in high school, but sometimes students have a pretty good idea where they want to go at that time, and your future tuba teacher can be the best resource with a question like this.
I'm a music major and I'm going to be a junior, and I play BBb. But I am the only BBb music major who plays tuba at my school. I would take a serious look at switching to CC. In general, I like BBb's better, but 6/4 CC's are really something special. My suggestion would be to find out which horn you want to have eventually (my guess is that if you do pursue music, whatever horn you buy on your budget won't feel like enough before you graduate), buy a decent used horn in that key. That way you would have a higher resale value when you get the horn of your dreams. Oh, and five valves are almost a necessity. As for a used horn in your price range, I don't know, just keep your eyes open.
In addition to going to Dillon's, you might want to also call Dave Fedderly in Baltimore and try out some of his horns.

Scott

Follow Ups: