Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Yamaha revelation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on July 27, 2000 at 17:12:55:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Yamaha revelation posted by John on July 27, 2000 at 16:47:00:

Have you ever heard of Roger Bobo, Jim Self, Kelly O'Bryant, or Floyd Cooley. They have all played Yamaha's at one time or another professionally and made plenty of money. I know they make a very capable F tuba and an interesting line of CC's but the quality and sound of this Yamaha I played were both equally impressive. If I could have ever fiqured out all of the pitch quirks of my YCB-822S, it would have been a great small orchestral CC, with plenty of tonal colors. However, the fact that I had to pull a slide on every note and the fact that I stumbled across an old Tommy Johnson 188-5U 'fone, helped the Yamaha fall out of my arsenal very quickly. But I had never expected the yamaha BBb roary to be good and that is what suprised me. Another thing I was wondering, is the fact that yamaha tries to gear their upper line horns toward pro's but keep the cost pretty reasonable a factor in no one liking them? I did notice that the YBB-641 BBb took a slightly diiferent type of airstream than what I had anticipated when I picked the horn up. It seemed like it took a "piston" type of air control as opposed to a "rotary" style of airstream. What I mean by that is the yamaha does not seem to have the initial wall of pressure one seems to encounter in german style rotary horns, the one that seems to help make the articulation a little clearer. It seems to want a more focused direct attack like a medium to large bore piston horn would require.

Just another thought...

Matt G

Follow Ups: