Re: Re: Identification of ?????? Help????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker (epilogue) on July 27, 2000 at 09:32:02:

In Reply to: Re: Identification of ?????? Help???? posted by Mike on July 26, 2000 at 17:16:12:

A couple of things about sending the material to your director:

1) I'd only show him the material that DOESN'T refer to him as a 'dork'.

2) I'd not mention any of this to any of your peers. They don't have to know everything, and you DON'T want it to get back to your director that you 'put him in his place'.

3) If you DO show him any of this material, I'd put it on paper, put it into an envelope with a VERY polite, non-critical note and let him read it privately and at his leisure. Better still, do a little more research and do it in the form of a short research paper. My daughter had to do almost exactly this for her instrument (french horn) last year. He will be impressed, you will have learned a lot about your instrument, and you'll have a research paper that just might satisfy a requirement in English one of these days!

4) I would not be too very surprised if he doesn't ever acknowledge it. Whether he SAYS so or not, his perceptions and reactions to the euph will likely change. His perception and reaction to you, if you've been polite, will definitely change.

I assume that you are in High School now, and he will most likely be your band director for the next four years. More important than his understanding of the history and role of low brass is his having a good opinion of you. That opinion will be based far more on your conduct than on your knowledge of the history and significance of your instrument. Handling things in this kind of a mature manner will go far in showing him that you are worthy of high regard.

Good luck!

P.S. Some of you euphers, give the kid some links. Werden's paper on the euph would be a good start (but I've long since lost the URL); what else should he read?

Follow Ups: