Re: Yamaha revelation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Neil M on July 26, 2000 at 18:01:13:

In Reply to: Yamaha revelation posted by Matt G on July 25, 2000 at 15:35:47:

Nice to hear some good things about the Yammaha horns. They do work well, and sound great. If a person were to snoop through some history, I would imagine that most of those who were turned off Yamahas based their opinions on the lower model horns. The one's built for beginning musicians. They hold up well in a "school" situation.

A lot of the yama-bashing that goes on is in the same league as judging (for all you car folks) Chrysler's entire line of cars on an '86 voyageur (which incidentally was the car that made their money in the 80's and early 90's). doesn't make too much sense, does it...

one last tangent before I hush up....when a person buys a horn, reality sets in eventually for so many of us. A yamaha, admittedly wasn't on the top of my wish list when looking for a horn whnI finished high school. Unfortunately, there aren't too many used hirsbruners /Rudy's / Holtons for sale in my neck of the woods...in fact, my fellow tubaist at school and I got the last two custom Yamaha's in the country. Any tuba is better than no tuba, no matter what it is. (Here's an interesting side bar...I had one of the local tuba pros play test my 861..his only grip was the small bell, he said he liked the high register on it better than he did his Hisrbrunner. food for thought)

I do agree with the fellow that suggested a bigger bell, would be nice to see a 19"er mated to my .815" bores...

That's enough out of me...

Neil

Follow Ups: