Re: Identification of ?????? Help????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on July 26, 2000 at 16:45:22:

In Reply to: Identification of ?????? Help???? posted by J.D. on July 26, 2000 at 14:08:58:

Wow!! Before I say anything else, I want to be on record as *NOT* encouraging you to say rude or disparaging things to or about your director. Dad used to tell me, "The boss isn't always right, but he's always the boss", and that certainly applies here.

That said, there is the smallest grain of truth to one small part of the statements you ask about. The euphonium was not 'invented to support the tuba', but rather was invented at about the same time for a similar purpose. It was the tenor voice in a conical brass ensemble. 'Conical', or 'cone-like', means that the instrument increases its tubing diameter for a larger percentage of the horn's length. This group of instruments includes cornets, alto/tenor horns, euphoniums and tubas. The other family of brass instruments, cylindrical horns, includes trumpets, french horns, and trombones (and cimbassi, something like the result of a torid affair between a trombone and a sousaphone).

This brings us the other comment about 'enough trombones' eliminating the need for euphoniums. If you are not concerned about tone characteristics, then this is technically true; but while a trombone has almost exactly the same range, its tone is entirely different. Furthermore, the presence of valves instead of a slide makes it possible for the average euphonium player to play much 'busier' parts. The euphonium has a lighter sound, making it much more suitable for counter-melodies and descants.

As to the music being tuba music up the octave, I think you will find that euphonium parts are usually (but not always) transcriptions of parts written for other instruments, but not notably the tuba. Usually it is trombone, cello, viola, or vocal parts that have been transcribed for the euph.

Finally, on the question of whether euphoniums are essential to a group, that depends on the group. Take the cello: indispensable in an orchestra, useless in a marching band. Similarly, try playing 'Sleigh Ride' this Christmas without a euph and you'll be missing something important! It just depends on the lit you're playing, and the sound you want.

There are others on this list that can (and will) probably correct ME on some of what I've said here, but I think I'm generally correct.

All of this said, cut your director a little slack. There is a lot of mythology surrounding low brass, and if it is not his specialty it is understandable that he may not have had occasion to check out things he has heard. A school band director has to know a million things, and he should be allowed to be flat out wrong once in a while without being dubbed a "dork".

Good luck at school this year, and keep your NON-band grades up too!
Joe B.

Follow Ups: