Trip to Dillon Music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Pete Krill on July 25, 2000 at 09:24:08:

I took one of my periodic trips to Dillon Music yesterday to try out used CC tubas, and I thought I would share some of my impressions.

The two tubas that impressed me the most were the Marzan four valve CC, and the Buescher five valve CC (Matt Walters custom designed). They both had very good intonation, solid construction and a big sound.

The Buescher, made from an old Buescher bell, and newer King valves and body parts has a huge rich sound, belying its compact dimensions. If I were in the market for just one tuba to cover a large variety of playing situations, this one would bear serious consideration. It is expensive, has a raw brass finish, and the valves could use some teflon valve-guides, but I would say that this tuba compares favorably with some of Matt's excellent York-based tuba conversions.

If you can get by with a four valve CC instrument, the Marzan would be a good buy at about $4895. It is a similar size as the Buescher, and also has a good sound and intonation in all registers. Maybe a fifth valve could be added.

The third tuba which impressed me as a special purpose tuba for a small classical or jazz ensemble was the four valve Conn 3J. It is bright silver-plated and is in almost perfect condition. With the bigger bell, this one has a better low register than my own Conn 2J.

Follow Ups: