Re: When not working...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gus Pratt on July 23, 2000 at 08:03:40:

In Reply to: When not working... posted by TUBA - G00 on July 23, 2000 at 01:04:08:

I'm not a professional musician and not looking to become one, however I did play in a dixieland band for a year or so. I stopped playing because I found out that playing gigs had a habit of interfering with my job. It's a difficult situation for you because if you get a permanent job, you risk getting into the situation where you have to turn down gigs because of the conflicts, and the next thing you know you are no longer a musician. If summer months are slow for you because you aren't teaching then it might be wise to get some musical instrument repair experience. All the repair guys are slammed with work during the summer, repairing school horns. You might even check and see if the local repair place need a gopher type person to do some of the simpler stuff. Like disammembling of horns for cleaning, replacing corks, removing stuck mouthpieces, etc. When I was in the dixieland band, we spent a lot more time doing gigs during the summer then during the winter. Probably about 75% of our work was in July and August. The group I was in had been together for approximately 5 years before I joined them, so they had a pretty stable source of small town festival and private parties that they did every year.

Follow Ups: