Re: used tuba for a 7th grader

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jlb on July 21, 2000 at 21:37:55:

In Reply to: used tuba for a 7th grader posted by Sarah B. on July 21, 2000 at 16:06:16:

I agree with Doug. Ask around, especially of your teacher and/or band director.

That having been said, there seem to be two primary shops for tubas in the Boston area. Osmun music (www.osmun.com) and Rayburn Music (www.RayburnMusic.com). Osmun has a BBb Mirafone listed on their website now. I bought my current horn, an EEb Mirafone, from Osmun last fall. Rayburn's website seems broken. They are showing a blank screen for used tubas, but I've always seen a pretty good inventory in the past. Call Rayburn at (800) 874-6767 and ask for Lee Walkowich (sp?). Also, Dillon's in Woodbridge, NJ, is only about a three hour ride from Boston, right at exit 11 of the NJ Turnpike and Matt is the guru. Among those three shops, if you can't find a 'right on' horn, give up. URL's for Dillon and Osmun are listed on the Shops page of this website.

Now for my EEb lecture: For a 7th grader in a private school (small student body = small ensembles?) I would advocate at least considering an EEb. They are inherently smaller than the contrabass BBb and CC. My Mirafone is 14 pounds. A 4 valve EEb will play easily down to The F on the 4th leger line below the Bass Clef staff and up to Bb just above the staff. If your son encounters charts with greater range in middle school or high school, his director is reaching. My two favorites (limited experience) are the Mirafone 183-4U (my horn) and the Besson 981. Light enough for 4tet, 5tet, solo. Heavy enough for small wind ensemble or orchestra (less than 50 players). Gutsy enough for the trio of National Emblem with the concert band. If you look diligently, you should find either horn, in excellent shape, for under $3k. I paid less than $2k for my Mirafone. It is 30 years old (built in 1970), but in beautiful condition. Not perfect, but close enough for jazz.

Good luck.

Follow Ups: