Re: I seek the wisdom of the tuba tribunal

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 13, 2000 at 08:21:27:

In Reply to: I seek the wisdom of the tuba tribunal posted by Joey Silva on July 13, 2000 at 01:41:29:

The Chicago York is closely associated with Jacobs and his sound, but I'm compelled to note that Jacobs owned many instruments, and got that Jacobs sound on all of them. In his words, "the tuba is just brass."

You might try to arrange, through your teacher, to play a few horns from the collections of local tuba players. Some players may be unwilling to do that, and their desires must be respected, but others won't have a problem with it. Be prepared to provide a suitable compensation, or take a lesson from that other player. That will give you a taste of what's out there and help you narrow your search. If you can narrow it down to a favorite model or two, then you can order one and try it out (get your teacher to try it out, too). If it isn't right, ship it back, without dents or scratches (or even fingerprints). You'll pay for shipping, but that will likely be cheaper than a cross-country trip, as long as you have some focus before you order one.

Rick "I prefer the cross-country trip" Denney

Follow Ups: