Re: B&S PT-6P

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph Felton on July 10, 2000 at 12:19:16:

In Reply to: B&S PT-6P posted by Mike Silvani on July 10, 2000 at 11:53:56:

I'm sure that you could get a PT-6P silverplated if that's what you wanted. The general rule of thumb with the German manufacturers is to add $500 to the price of the horn to get a silverplated version.

If you are looking for an orchestra horn that can still do the quintet thing I would seriously stay away from the PT-6. This is coming from a PT-6 owner here. I feel very fortunate to have always had access to an F tuba for quintet use because my PT-6 will just bury a group for most standard pieces. I've pulled out the PT-6 only a handfull of times for the rare quintet piece that asked for something very big and dramatic. There will be some who will disagree with me on this point but I think that those that try to use the PT-6 in all situations are really sacrificing a lot of potential subtlety, and as a result, musicality.

If I were you I would take a much stronger look at the PT-4 or PT-20. I've not played the PT-20 but it is my understanding that it is an attempt at a middle road between the PT-4 and PT-6. I feel that the PT-4 is *plenty* capable of making a very large sound for orchestra stuff and much more suitable for quintet. I would also imagine the PT-4 to be a better choice for auditions when those come up.. more clarity while still maintaining a great sound.

I suspect that my opinions have a lot to do with my approach to playing. I find it much easier to get a big sound on a small horn than to get a small sound on a big horn. On a positive note I've found that my PT-6 can really roar! I would be hard pressed to find a situation where it wasn't enough. I tend to use air like a sledge hammer. Create enough wind and it's bound to respond! ;b

Good luck!
joseph

Follow Ups: