Re: Re: Tick, tock, tick, tock...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 10, 2000 at 09:13:27:

In Reply to: Re: Tick, tock, tick, tock... posted by Jay Bertolet on July 10, 2000 at 08:09:58:

The airline security people blinked, but let them pass. I don't know if they were blinking at the grossly ugly and oversized Russian medium-format camera in my grip, or the five mouthpieces!

I took a Conn Helleberg, a Helleberg 7B, a Tuba Exchange Rose, a PT-48, and a Bach 18. While there, I also tried Chuck's bored-out 18, a Wick 1, a Bruno Tilz, and even a Warburton Marty Neilan model (though I was afraid it would rip the leadpipe right off the horn). I had a favorite at the time, but I've already forgotten what it was! I suppose that means I'll have to try them all again. Terrible situation, heh, heh.

It's a bigger horn than I imagined. When I get a chance back home, I'll measure the volume and compare it to the Miraphone, but it feels like a 5/4. It has a very sweet sound and a crisp response (with a crisp mouthpiece).

I'll add pictures to my web page as soon as I can.

In addition to the York, I also tried out some of Chuck's other horns, including the ugly but amazing Keefer/Minnick, an Alex 163 (a You WILL FOLLOW ORDERS kind of sound), and especially a wonderful front-action Willson euph with the Canadian Brass label. Chuck has excellent taste.

Rick "More to come" Denney

Follow Ups: