Re: Re: Re: Comparisons between tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Swensen on July 05, 2000 at 22:42:18:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Comparisons between tubas posted by Al on July 05, 2000 at 21:58:13:

Al,
May I, humbly, suggest that, perhaps, you do not need the perfect tuba NOW, so that you can know it perfectly by the time you audition for jobs when you get out of college five years, or more, from now. If you are ready for auditions, you should be able to learn a new tuba well enough within a month or two of buying it; our esteemed Jay Bertolet was using his new Nirschl York tuba in concerts within a week of receiving it.

I applaud you for aiming high, and I hope that you will continue to do so. If money is a problem, then look around for a used, 5-valve, CC Miraphone 186. Although this is far from the perfect tuba, you should be able to find one for $3000 or less and, if well cared for, you can sell it for at least that when you have a better idea about what kind of tuba you really want for the kind of playing you want to do. For all we know, in five years there may be new tubas out that make big Nirschls and Yorkbrunners seem like junk. More likely, someone will come out with an affordable, great, all-around horn (maybe the new Conn 56J, maybe another) that will make you rue the day you took out a 30-year loan for a Hirsbrunner.

Follow Ups: