Re: schools

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Sellmansberger on July 29, 1999 at 02:51:32:

In Reply to: schools posted by Billy bob on July 28, 1999 at 23:26:29:

On the west coast - Tommy Johnson, Jim Self, et al.

I used to do a good bit of (not too many movies) commercial recording here in Memphis in the late '70's and early '80's before Stax and another place, Tanner Studios (later "Media General"), a "jingle mill" closed down. We recorded a lot of Holiday Inn (and related franchises) commercials, Christmas albums, station I.D.'s, sports conferences' I.D.'s, plain-old commercials, and a few movies - one I remember: "Play Misty for Me" (Clint Eastwood) with scoring by Dee Barton, and other junk. I didn't do "Shaft" -- they used a bass trombone, but no tuba. >>My favorite stuff was the "just tuba" stuff, because the minimum time that they would schedule for a session was 45 minutes, and I was always out of there in about 10.<<

I am not posting to offer a "resume", but to ask why you are seeking out an instructor who is involved in this sort of work. Doing recordings like these requires no special skills nor instruction. All you have to have is a reputation for playing well and showing up on time, and to be friendly with and gracious to those who hire for such work.

Follow Ups: