Re: Re: Re: salary

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on July 26, 1999 at 09:11:24:

In Reply to: Re: Re: salary posted by chuck on July 26, 1999 at 01:54:05:

I know that you asked Jay, who knows a lot more about different jobs across the U.S. I know about the Memphis job (even though I don't do it), so I will use it as ONE example for you. It is quite the example of an entry-level full-time. The tuba guy makes about $20,000 gross, which is principal pay in Memphis. His duties include night-time rehearsals for pops and subscription concerts some weeks; Friday, Saturday, and Sunday concerts some weeks (subscription and pops); and a FEW daytime brass quintet things - schools, libraries, our airport concourses ("Welcome-to-Memphis" P.R.), etc. It virtually doesn't conflict at all with his job at the University or Memphis teaching his tuba students, music theory classes, etc., which is his "main" job. I would say that of all the Memphis Symphony principals, his job comes the closest to paying reasonably because he is probably involved in the least number of events. Their season is not that hectic, either.

So, as ONE answer to your question, here is ONE example of a lower-paying job allowing quite easily for a "day" job which only requires a small amount of flexibility on the part of the "day" employer.

Follow Ups: