Re: Re: Mahler Symphonies.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt R. on July 20, 1999 at 14:41:24:

In Reply to: Re: Mahler Symphonies. posted by Art on July 19, 1999 at 23:40:00:

Hmmm. I think every orchestra and conductor brings something different to the table when it comes to Mahler. As a student, I hoarded all the CSO and New York Mahler recordings as many of us did. Those great recordings sent me scurrying to find all the books I could on Mahler. I was hooked. After working in music retail for 11 years during and after college, I amassed 12 complete Mahler cycles, and 50 other individual recordings of Mahler symphonies. They are all VERY different. I would never part with any of them.

The performances I return to most often are:

Symphonies 1-9 Cologne Radio Symphony Gary Bertini, cond. Early '90s EMI
Quite simply one of the most beautiful orchestral sounds I have ever heard for Mahler. Huge, lush strings. Amazingly musical brass playing. Gorgeous tuba playing. This is the whole package.

Sym. No. 9 Berlin Philharmonic Leonard Bernstein (live) 1979 DG
There is something special about this one. Greatest pianissimo string playing I have ever heard.

I also think the current cycle Mr. Boulez is recording for DG with Chicago, Cleveland, and Vienna (Sym. 1,6,7 & 9 are available) is stunning.

The conductors Mitropoulos and Horenstein also have a deep afinity for this music.
Mitropoulos died on the rostrum conducting a rehearsal of Mahler's 3rd Sym. at La Scala.

Follow Ups: