Re: Doubling and bass players

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ike H. on July 20, 1999 at 11:55:50:

In Reply to: Doubling and bass players posted by JRTapes on July 19, 1999 at 09:12:27:

I think what the question directs us to is this: Do those people (us) who play the bass line, have more insight into what is going on in the music to enable us to be more flexible musically and perhaps instrumentally, as well. Well, as a bass/tuba doubler, I would have to say yes. And I will look at it from two perspectives. I have seen more people who have started on a bass instrument be successful on other instruments (more often piano) than those who play melody instruments (reeds, trumpet,etc.) and attempt to branch out. I think it is familiarity with the chordal structure that is the key, so to speak. Those of us who play the bassline day after day cannot help but be ingrained with the knowledge of the chords we are playing, because more often than not those lines are the roots of whatever chords are going on at the time. What better introduction of basic theory than to play the roots of every chord that you hear. To move on from there is easier than playing (written) melody or harmony lines forever, and THEN trying to figure out what's happening underneath. I know several "professional" horn players still struggling with figuring out chord changes, particularly if it's a song they've never played before.

Follow Ups: