discovery(?) on multiphonics

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Winton on July 20, 1999 at 02:07:31:

I've made some sort of a discovery (it's new to me at least) while I was practicing the last week of college (about 5/20). I was playing around (I guess I wasn't really practicing) with multiphonics and harmonizing and trying to accompany myself when I accidently heard something. I was playing a E on the staff and sang C# to B as a suspension. But then I heard another note than rang like harmonics on a jazz bass. It was A to a G# as the 11 to the 10th. So if it was written out, it would start on E on the bass clef staff, the B above it, and the G# above that. It was amazing. I showed it to some people to see if they could explain it, but they didn't know why. I know it has something to do with the sound waves clashing, but I couldn't understand it. So I was wondering if anybody out there know about this, or can explain why this is. Thanx.

Winton

P.S. Oh yeah, I did this on my PT-3 but on my MW 32 it didn't ring as much. So I tried playing C and sang A to G on my MW 32 and the F to E rang. So the ringing depends on the horn.

P.S.S. Since we're on the subject, when I play a low A or low G, and I'm not supporting my abs or my throat, I undeliberately sing the third scale degree of that note. Is there an explaination for that, or am I just mutated?

Follow Ups: