Re: Rotary or piston?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave Seip on July 15, 1999 at 23:56:41:

In Reply to: Rotary or piston? posted by anonymous on July 14, 1999 at 18:22:30:

I'm not a pro, but since I had to contemplate the eternal question of "piston or rotary" when I bought my horn, I guess I'll throw my two cents in as well. It doesn't seem that one system is superior to the other; they both have advantages and disadvantages. The advantages of pistons are ease of maintenance and a fewer number of things to break. One of the inherent problems in pistons, however, is that if you don't press on the center of the valve, you can cause wear on the valve, and will have to repair the corrosion. Rotaries don't have this problem because you are not pressing directly on the valve itself, and the valve doesn't come into direct contact with the casing. Also, maintenance is more infrequent on rotaries, because of this lack of wear, but if something goes wrong, it is harder for the average person with limited tools to fix it himself. I went with a Getzen CB50, which has 4 pistons and one rotary. What you buy, however, should reflect what you really want in a horn. You should try lots of horns of both varieties and decide what feels the best.
As everyone else has said, use what works for you!

Follow Ups: