Re: Re: Practicing in an apartment

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dennis Morris on July 15, 1999 at 14:53:03:

In Reply to: Re: Practicing in an apartment posted by Charles Ortega on July 15, 1999 at 13:18:11:

Silent Brass is at the Woodwind & Brasswind for about $325 if I remember correctly. I'm thinking about getting it myself. Check out an earlier thread for some user feedback.
I have the Humes and Berg practice mute. I'm not really crazy about it -- it's very stuffy and screws up the intonation characteristics of my horn, which is why I'm considering Silent Brass. However, at the time I got the Humes (mid-80s) it was the only solution I knew about, and it was something like $75 -- a lot less than $325. You pay your money and take your choice.
I'm very careful to use the mute as a supplement, not the primary way I practice. It's a useful way to get in a little extra time, or for me to practice if I get home too late for my normal hours. If you have to choose between practicing with a practice mute or not practicing at all, the decision is fairly obvious. But I'm concerned about developing bad habits if the majority of my practice time is with the mute.

Follow Ups: