Re: Practice techniques

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on July 05, 1999 at 18:24:33:

In Reply to: Practice techniques posted by Aaron on July 04, 1999 at 21:56:49:

There are several aspects of rhythm, as already discussed. One is accuracy of execution of individual rhythms, and another is the overall steadiness of the pulse. Playing string bass and tuba in dance bands for years helped me to develop a better sense of steady pulse. (The moment that I think that I have "natural rhythm" and quit concentrating on it, is right when it falls to pieces!) In dance bands, the steady pulse for the ensemble, I discovered early on, is MY responsibility. The harmonic drive of the bass FORCES even the drummer to shift his beat to whatever the bass is doing. I was fortunate to have those types of experiences to develop a pretty good "internal metronome". I hope that you can find similar experiences of some sort. In the meantime, use that metronome all of the time (and find one that has a sound that doesn't annoy you, so that you WILL use it). Another thing that hasn't been discussed, regarding overall steadiness of the pulse, is memory of tempi (tempos). If you can LEARN what various speeds SOUND and FEEL like, such as 60,76, 84, 100, 120, 132, 144, 150 beats per minute, that skill will help give you personal feedback is to whether things overall are speeding up, slowing down, or remaining steady. To begin to "learn" various tempi, start by thinking tunes in your head (popular tunes are fine) that each ABSOLUTELY only works at one particular speed, and use different tunes as "bookmarks" for various tempi.

Follow Ups: