Re: Play-testing, what's it mean for you?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on July 05, 1999 at 15:20:46:

In Reply to: Play-testing, what's it mean for you? posted by Dale Phelps on July 05, 1999 at 10:31:04:

I think the most important aspect of trying out horns is the phrase "basis of comparison". I much prefer Dave's idea of having a bunch of tubas in one place and at one time to compare. My best experiences in evaluating horns have been at venues that offered access to several different makes and models to try. Also, I think it is really helpful to have a "known quantity" that you know works for you to use as a yardstick (sorry to all of you out there that don't already own a good tuba!). But I agree with Joe in that you can never know how you'll feel about a tuba 6 months or a year after you purchase. Also, you change (hopefully for the better) as a player over time and there is every possibility that you will outgrow a tuba. I think the best you can do is to be VERY selective in the initial stages of evaluation and then you've at least improved the chances that you'll get the horn you really want. Don't forget that every tuba made by a given manufacturer can be markedly different so it pays to determine what make/model of tuba you want and then try out several of that specific tuba to see if you can find the one for you.

Follow Ups: