Re: Seeking Expert Testimony

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David Zerkel on July 01, 1999 at 11:49:32:

In Reply to: Seeking Expert Testimony posted by Jason on July 01, 1999 at 10:51:42:

Hi Jason.

This sounds like a good topic for a paper! I'll do my best to give you my best argument for studying with a teacher who plays the same instrument as the student.

The primary reason for studying with a professional who plays the same instrument as the student is to absorb their expertise. None of us woke up one morning and had the ability to solve all of the mysteries that the tuba poses for us, rather we had to work at them until we could begin to diagnose and solve the problem. My undergrad tuba teacher, Dave Bragunier, would often speak of overcoming the obstacles that the tuba presents and realizing that we need to be work harder for tonal and musical clarity. Beautiful bel canto playing takes much more commitment on the tuba than on the euphonium (one of the reasons I love to play the euphonium so much!).

Sure, there are plenty of pedagogical issues that apply to all of the brass instruments (i.e. keep the tongue low, breath in through an "O" shape to keep everything open and relaxed, etc.), but there are issues that apply to the tuba that do not translate well to the other brass (i.e. articulation in the extreme low register, production in the extreme low register, etc.). You wouldn't go to a pastry chef for advice on how to grill the perfect steak, just as you wouldn't ask a hurdler how to get an extra 7 feet on your shotput throws. You need to learn from someone who has tried, failed and succeeded to do the things that you aspire to do. If one has never failed at doing something successfully, how can one then teach others how to do it? Mistakes are neccessary to achieve and appreciate success. Watch some Biography on A&E...you'll get it!

What is most important in studying with another tubist is having a model for what you can or want to sound like. I have not aspired to sound like every teacher that I have ever studied with, but they each brought something valid to the table in helping me to find my own voice. In what way would studying from a trombonist help you develop your tuba sound? Well, actually, quite a bit if it is the right teacher. I have had many models for what I'd LIKE to sound like who are not tubists...Bud Herseth, Tom Bacon, Joe Alessi, Sarah Vaughan, Glenn Gould, and the list goes on. Would any of them make me a better tuba player? Maybe, maybe not. Would any of them make me a better musician? Yes, all of them would! But what we need to remember is that we are students of the instrument as well as students of music. Had I never studied with a tubist, I would have had a hard time finding my sound or my voice. At age 35, I'm still not all the way there...this is why I continue to practice and seek out help with my playing any time I have the time and resources.

I apologize if I got off topic. The important issue is that we need models who have been in our footsteps and can make educated evaluations and corrections in our playing.

It is too bad that tuba and euphonium students are sometimes put in the position of studying for four years from someone who does not "feel their pain".

Good luck with your project!

Dave Zerkel
Professor of tuba and euphonium
Illinois State University

Follow Ups: