Why no C Trombones?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MP on January 28, 2004 at 08:02:44:

Why don’t our trombonist friends play trombones in C? Has this even been tried to any degree I wonder?

Seems odd to me that many (largely Orchestral) trumpeters and tubists opt for the slightly improved response offered by instruments in C (and many other personal reasons), whilst trombonists happily play on Bb instruments exclusively.

Presumably they could benefit from any improvements offered to trumpets and tubas. Slightly shorter slide must aid dexterity a little? With the addition of a G-Valve the range wouldn’t suffer. A 1-step valve could also be added (if desired) bringing the instrument to Bb for facility. The slide could be made a little long to accommodate this Bb-valve.

My only theory on this is that over the C20th, the trombone (perhaps more than others) has grown in bore, bell and ‘sound-output’ size a great deal. Trombonists might have tried instruments in C but found the sound lacked something over the Bb equivalent (as some tubists do).

Anyone got any theories or comments as to why trombonists have stuck with Bb and trumpeters & tubists have moved to the dark-side?

MP

Follow Ups: