Re: Re: Largest Euph MP w/tenor shank??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K on January 26, 2004 at 16:07:47:

In Reply to: Re: Largest Euph MP w/tenor shank?? posted by Thomas on January 26, 2004 at 15:38:00:

I advocate large mouthpieces, but even a small tuba mouthpiece destroys the intonation on euph and bass trombone. So unless you have an extraordinarily strong embouchure, I hardly can believe, that your advice is based on actual experience.

The advice given about changing the receiver, or even better the whole leadpipe, will give the original poster the same selection of mouthpieces as any player of compensating euphs. So that will be the best long-time solution.

For the present small receiver/leadpipe the Denis Wick 4AY is among the largest ones available. I am on my third or fourth sample of that model (the combination of a hard beard and the thin DW gold plating is not optimal, go for the silver plated version now available).

An option which should not be dismissed is the Vincent Bach #3, preferably with the large symphonic backbore, which is not the one usually found in the stores.

As I have understood material from VB as well as from Schilke, they both will supply their bass trombone mouthpieces with tenor shanks on special order. I have used the VB 1 1/2G and 1G plus the Schilke 60 on euph and bass bone. But I am not too happy with the rounded rims.

My present choice is the Yamaha Yeo signature. Doug Elliot has made small shank versions of that mpc for Yeo to use on older instrument. Please read Yeo's own telling of that on his web site.

I cannot give definite replies to the original question, but hopefully a few paths to research have been opened.

Klaus

Follow Ups: