Re: Re: Sousaphone wrap question resolved

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by I agree on January 25, 2004 at 14:40:49:

In Reply to: Re: Sousaphone wrap question resolved posted by Leland on January 25, 2004 at 10:31:03:

I can't but agree with you one the honesty part!

Brass hybrid instruments are not my strongest field of experience. However I have made some tests in my other instrumental field: recorders. Many of you may dismiss this instrument, but the recorder study was what really opened up my understanding of body and head resonance in my brass playing.

I strongly advocate using production over custom recorders. One only has to select carefully even if it gives a long lasting headache to find the best one among 75 high class sopranos. Among my 18 wooden recorders in 7 sizes I have ended up with 3 altos being identical but for the woods: plum, boxwood, and grenadilla. Conventional wisdom has it, that the headpiece wood determines the sound. My experience is the opposite: the body (middle and foot joints) wood determines the sound.

In brasses I have tried put the bell off my heavyweight B&H Sovereign bassbone on the slide of my lightweight King 7B and vice versa. The bell determines the sound.

When I put the widely flared, but elsewise small bore bell of my Weltklang (B&S 2nd line) valve trombone on the .500" slide from my King 2B+ tenor bone, it was the bell, which determined the sound.

Mary Ann has reported on a huge improvement in sound, when she mounted a different type screw-bell on her high level custom built horn.

My conclusion must be, that the Conn bell of the instrument in question may have a very determining effect on the sound output. But my desires for 3 valve sousaphones has been fulfilled by my 26K Eb Conn, so I will not buy the hybrid for ever so valid test purposes.

Klaus

Follow Ups: