Re: Jupiter vs. WIllson

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ... on January 25, 2004 at 14:01:58:

In Reply to: Jupiter vs. WIllson posted by Donald on January 24, 2004 at 21:09:46:

An instrument vendor tried to get me to buy a Jupiter in high school. I had it and a King to try out. In the past I had played one of those 3 valve bell front horns that Jesus played in high school, so I loved the Jupiter with it's 4 valves and shiny finish. BUT, then I put it on a tuner and almost dropped the horn because of how BAD it was out of tune. There were some notes that were so bad they were almost a quarter tone out. THEN, the horn started to fall apart. 3 different braces broke during the WEEK I played it. Anyway, I ended up with the King. That was when I didn't know about all the different brands available. I now play a Willson so I guess I'm a little partial, but it's one of the best. I won't say it's the best because everyone to his own, but I would have to say it's lightyears ahead of a Jupiter. The sturdiness of the horn alone is enough to pick the Willson. But as was stated earlier, the price difference is probably going to be pretty significant. Anyway, I don't want people to take this personally or the wrong way, but I have never seen a Jupiter instrument that was worth the money paid for it. I've seen several people on here who give great reviews to Jupiters, and I have to think that they either have never played anything else, or they are an instrument vendor and are trying to sell their product.

Then again, if it's all you can afford, go for it. I've talked too long.

Follow Ups: