Re: Disney Collegiate Band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bob Joles on January 25, 2004 at 04:12:15:

In Reply to: Disney Collegiate Band posted by Steve on January 25, 2004 at 01:46:45:

Now mind you, it was 23 years ago (summer of '81) that I did the AACB at Disneyland, but I don't think the overall experience has changed that much. I had a great time that summer with some excellent musicians. I should mention that in the band that summer we had Robert Sullivan (now Associate Principle Trumpet of the New York Philharmonic) and Patsy Dash (percussionist for the Chicago Symphony Orchestra).

It was a wonderful learning experience - 20 musicians from all over the country coming together for a chance to learn from each other as well as the professionals that were brought in each week. At the end of the guest artist's week we would perform a concert with them in the park at the bandstand at Carnation Gardens. Some of the people that came that year were Gary Foster, Bobby Shew, Rob McConnell, Phil Wilson, Rich Matteson and Tommy Johnson. We had rehearsal from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., then an hour or so for lunch and then the first set (of 5) was at 4 p.m. The summer was gone before we all knew it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

For my audition I played the first movement of the Broughton Sonata (it was only about 4 years old back then!) and then Dr. Bartner threw a little sight reading in front of everyone. I also did some stuff on bass trombone which came in handy. Normally, for the sit-down concerts, one of the tubist's doubles on bass. That summer neither of us did -BUT - the first trombone player did so I would just shift over to 4th bone when Bret would play his bass.

Steve, if this hasn't answered your questions please feel free to email me privately and I'll do my best to tell you what i can.

Cheers,
Bob Joles
AACB Tuba - 1981

P.S. Gene Pokorny was in the very first All-American College Band at Disneyland!

Follow Ups: